Sunday, May 22, 2011

Guiltless Alfredo Sauce

In my food storage I have about 5 jars of Ragu Alfredo sauce.  I occasionally pull it out and add it to some pasta and throw some chicken into it when I have 10 hour days on campus.  Every time I pull it out I feel so guilty and gross, but it tastes so good! Alfredo is one of the best inventions known to man kind, but not the best when you are trying to look good for your new husband.  

The other day when my husband requested chicken Alfredo for dinner, which I was ecstatic about because he NEVER gives suggestions for dinner, was going to just pull out the Ragu then I stumbled upon this sauce.  This recipe is from one of my most favorite websites by two of the most inspiring and interesting ladies that I just happen to get to hang out with for a whole day next month at BYU-Idaho! The website is ourbestbites.com.  

Let me just tell you, you will not have to feel guilty eating this sauce and completely covering your pasta.  According to the website there is only 100 calories in a 1/4 cup of sauce... did you hear me...only 100 calories!   Oh ya another great part  about this sauce it only takes 10 minutes and as a college student working 20 hours a week and taking 15 credits 10 minute sauce is music to my ears and a party on my taste buds. I promise you will never feel like you are missing the cream or extra amounts of cheese! Enjoy!

Guitless Alfredo Sauce


2 cups low-fat or skim milk
1/3 cup or 3oz of low fat cream cheese
2T flour
1t Salt
1T butter
3 cloves of Garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 shakes chili powder 
a few red pepper flakes

Toss milk, cream cheese, flour and salt into the blender and mix for a minute or two until smooth.  In a non-stick sauce pan melt butter and add garlic... don't you just LOVE the smell of garlic and butter cooked together! My husband threatened to wear garlic because I love it so much. ha.  Saute for about 30 seconds.  Add in milk mixture and stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes or until the sauce begins to boil.  Once it begins to boil remove from heat and stir in the cheese.  Cover the pan and let sit for about 10 minutes to let the sauce thicken.  

I served it with grilled chicken over multi-colored pasta, zucchini, and French bread.  

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...