Friday, July 22, 2011

Chinese Toffee Apples

So... This post is mainly for my mom.  She went to a cooking class last night to learn how to make some yummy Chinese Food.  The instructor made this dessert, but would not share the recipe with anyone.  My mom said these were to die for.  Because my mom's computer is broken and I have a ton of free time now that I am DONE with school until January she sent me on a mission to find the yummy fried apple things dipped in caramel and sesame seeds.  I found them with little effort... you gotta love Google.

On a side note I am so excited to see my family (both) families the two weeks.  I get to go shopping and cook with my mom, something I have not done in almost a year.  I can't believe it has been almost a year! A Whole year!



I have not tried the recipe yet, but I plan to in the near future...

So here it is....
Chinese Toffee Apples
source


Preparation Time: 10 min. Cooking Time: 20 min. Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients
4 ripe apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges

For the batter
3 tbsp plain flour (maida) and 3 tbsp cornflour

For the syrup
1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup sugar,1/4 cup honey, 2 tbsp sesame seeds

Other ingredients
oil for deep frying
iced water to serve with fritters

Method For the batter
1.Mix the flour and cornflour and sift in a bowl. Make the batter with 5 tablespoons of water and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2.Dip the apple wedges in this batter and deep fry till golden brown.

For the syrup
1.Keep aside all the fritters.
2.In another pan, heat the oil, add the sugar and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and caramelises lightly. Stir in the honey and the sesame seeds.
3.Keep warm.

Next steps
1.Pierce each fritter with a tooth pick and place on a plate.
2.Pour the warm syrup in one bowl and pour ice-cold water in another bowl.
3.When ready to eat, dip each fritter in the warm syrup and then in ice-cold water. This will cause the syrup coating to harden so the fritters will be crisp and cracking on the outside surface.

Tip - Prepare the syrup as close to serving time as possible. It only takes a few minutes and the results will be much better.

I found the recipe here by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...