Sunday, October 10, 2010

Apples are good on anything!

I bought a bunch of apples because it is apple season. I love apples and I really do think that they go really well on or in just about anything. Last night we had some of our friends over to play games and I wanted to make something tasty for them. I have a bunch of cake mixes, but I really wanted to make something from scratch. After about a half hour of searching Google for a recipe that is simple and tasty, but consisted of ingredients I had in the house I almost resorted to using a cake mix- which isn't a bad thing, but I wanted to cook. I finally stumbled on a recipe for a simple apple cake that did not call for apple butter, apple sauce or apple juice. The cake was delicious, moist and exactly what I was craving. My husband and my guest loved it!


(this is not my cake, but it looked very similar to this- so tasty)

Yummy Apple cake


  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 5 1/2 cups chopped apples (about 5-6 apples- I used Gala, but you can use any kind) 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda. Add the eggs, oil and vanilla, mix well. Add the nuts and apple, mix until all of the apples are evenly coated. Pour into a 9x9 inch pan.
  3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve warm or cool.
Note: if using a bunt cake pan bake for 60- 70 minutes 

can be served with whipping cream, vanilla ice cream, or a powdered sugar glaze. For best results serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...